What we do
Physiotherapists are based at Ysbyty Cwm Rhondda and Ysbyty Cwm Cynon and provide assessment and treatment of adult patients requiring further rehabilitation following their initial admission and assessment at the acute hospital.
We provide assessment and treatment to a wide variety of patients – from those who have had orthopaedic surgery, lower limb amputations and falls.
In addition we provide assessment and treatment of patients who have a neurological condition as a result of an injury to the brain, spinal cord or nerves.
Who is it for?
Physiotherapy is provided, as part of a wider multidisciplinary team, for patients who require further rehabilitation to regain mobility, maximise independence and to facilitate discharge home. It is essential that you are motivated and able to actively participate in rehabilitation.
Common conditions seen by the team include:
- Orthopaedic conditions e.g. hip fractures, spinal fractures, upper limb fractures
- Lower limb amputations
- Progressive neurological conditions e.g. multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease,Guillian Barre, MND, Huntington’s disease
- Traumatic brain injury
- Reduced mobility and independence following falls
Can anyone use this service?
The ward will refer you to physiotherapy, if appropriate, for assessment. Ongoing physiotherapy after assessment will be provided according to assessment outcomes.
8:30 – 16:30 Monday – Friday
What to expect
You will be assessed by a physiotherapist who will work closely with you to develop a treatment plan based on your needs.
Treatment may include:
- Mobility practice
- Balance rehabilitation
- Exercise prescription – for strength and movement
- Practicing activities of daily living
- Education, advice and promotion of self management of neurological conditions
- Education and advice on minimising the risk of falls
Physiotherapists work closely with nursing staff, occupational therapist, speech therapists, patients and relatives to ensure that rehabilitation is a 24 hour process.
Ysbyty Cwm Cynon
Telephone: 01443 715014 – Extension
Ysbyty Cwm Rhondda
Telephone: 01443 443443 – Extension 2619