Due to circumstances surrounding COVID-19, the way we deliver care within the Trauma and Orthopaedic Service is changing.
Cwm Taf Morgannwg UHB Trauma and Orthopaedic Hub is manned by a consultant between 9am and 9pm, seven days a week. The service is currently only operating on urgent trauma cases, being planned in as day cases wherever possible.
The consultant-led team see any urgent referrals from A&E, Minor Injuries Unit, the acute physiotherapy service and GPs. Consultants are available for urgent telephone advice for any of the above and also:
- outpatient specialties
- inpatient specialties
- outlying hospital T&O problems
Where appointments have been cancelled due to current circumstances, patients may have received a letter or a telephone call. Cwm Taf Morgannwg UHB T&O Hub are trying to minimise hospital appointments, wherever possible, particularly for vulnerable patients.
Patients may receive different splints or plasters, or be asked to remove their own, rather than being asked to clinic to change or check plasters. The Health Board may choose not to operate on certain injuries if the risk of COVID infection following admission is too great. For those injuries, the Health Board may need to operate at a later date when safe to do so.
Follow-up appointments can be carried out by telephone, or could be planned in if patients are having problems and require urgent assistance. The Health Board is trying to avoid patients having to come onsite by using removable splints or referring patients directly to physiotherapy. Any cancelled routine appointments will be reinstated as soon as it is deemed safe to do so.
If you have any urgent queries relating to T&O service changes, please see the contact guidance below:
- If already under a named consultant, patients can ring the consultant’s secretary on their usual number for advice between the hours of 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday. The secretary will contact the consultant for further advice or review.
- For problem with a plaster, the plaster room at Royal Glamorgan Hospital can be contacted from 9am – 9pm daily on 01443 443443 Ext 74049. For the Princess of Wales, please call 01656 752765.
- For any urgent queries relating to appointments, the outpatient reception can be contacted on 01443 443443 Ext 73293.
- For any urgent problems between 5pm and 9pm, the outpatient reception or plaster room can be contacted where T&O advice can be sought, if appropriate.
- For overnight emergencies (between 9pm and 9am) that cannot wait until the next day, patients should either come to A&E or contact the out-of-hours GP service.
- For any other queries for patients within the Princess of Wales Hospital area, please contact the service via our Switchboard on 01656 752752.