COVID-19: Resources for Parents and Carers from the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health: General advice about COVID-19, nation specific guidance and helpful information for parents about different conditions and coping at this challenging time.
- Royal College of Paediatrics and Children’s Health Coronavirus advice
- Welsh Government Coronavirus advice
- Public Health Wales Coronavirus advice
- Cwm Taf Morgannwg University Health Board website
Finding services in your community
Protecting mental health & wellbeing
Government advice for parents and carers supporting children and young people during the COVID 19 outbreak:
- EHH Information pack – COVID 19
- EHH_Information_pack_-_COVID_19 – Welsh
Speaking to children about COVID
Information and support for parents and carers during COVID-19
- Action for Children – online parent support including online chat/ advice service
- Barnardos – Advice for parents/carers including mental health, activities and wellbeing
Supporting Children with Learning Disability/ASD Coping with COVID-19 Isolation.
- Cardiff and Vale University Health Board document (Please note that any contacts in this document will be for those living in the Cardiff & Vale area).
- Children’s Commissioner for Wales information, activities and resources
- NSPCC Positive Parenting
- Cerebra charity for children with brain condition. Includes advice on behaviour management
- Challenging Behaviour Foundation for children with learning difficulties
Information for families with a disabled child
Resources for families with a child with ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder)
- Become a member of the National Autism Society (NAS) by requesting this through the Facebook group.
- Coronavirus and helping children with autism and their parents –podcast
- ASDRainbows – Charity supporting children with autism, communication difficulties or anxiety-related behaviours and their families by providing early intervention for young children. Based in Cwmbach Primary School, Aberdare. Pre-school nursery provision, after-school clubs, and parent/child groups. www.asdrainbows.co.uk, 07812 102178, on Facebook also.
Support for families with a child with ADHD
- ADHDConnections – A charity providing peer to peer support for families of children with features of ADHD, but formal diagnosis is NOT required. Currently the charity can offer support via:
- Telephone 07432 499164
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Virtual coffee mornings are being considered via Zoom
- A closed facebook group @adhdconnections
Support for deaf children
Keeping children safe online
- For emergencies call 999 or, to make this call silently, call 999 then add 55.
- Live Fear Free from domestic violence and abuse:
- Telephone: 0808 8010 800
- Text: 078600 77333
- Website: https://gov.wales/live-fear-free/contact-live-fear-free
- CTM Safeguarding board has information for parents/carers on how to keep their children safe
BRIDGEND BASED RESOURCES
- Disability Children’s service: Tel. 01656 815442
- Early Help: Phone: 01565 815523 / 01656 642740 / 01656 815431
- Email: email@example.com
- Safeguarding concerns: Tel. 01656 642320
- BCBC Council with information on free school meals, foodbanks and emergency support.
- BAVO is the umbrella body for the voluntary, community, faith and not-for-profit sector. We provide support, advice and guidance to groups across Bridgend County.
- Telephone 01656 810400
- website www.bavo.org.uk
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- https://www.bavo.org.uk/covid-19 – info on community support services during COVID.
- For children and family advice/ help contact 07719546865.
- For older people/ those isolating contact 01656 810400
- For out of hours (5-8pm and weekends 9am – 8pm) contact 07851 248576
- Free school meals still available by collection /delivery (including during Easter holiday) from schools
- Self-isolating and requiring food delivery Your local PCSO officer will collect and delivery food for those in isolation. Go to https://www.south-wales.police.uk/en/neighbourhood/bridgend adding your residential area at the end of the website address.
- Special Families (Maesteg area only) can help with shopping, collecting prescriptions. They offer phone checking-in service also. Open Mon-Fri 9am-5pm and Sat 9-12. Tel 01656 856950.
- Carers Centre Bridgend is a Network Partner of Carers Trust, and specialises in the provision of information and support to carers. They are operating the following support only currently:-
- Telephone support/Welfare calls for all carers, parent carers, young carers, young adult carers, veteran carers.
- Benefits advice, Counselling, Legal advice, Information, advice and signposting over the phone.
- http://www.bridgendcarers.co.uk/ Tel. 01656 658479
- Atebion (Barnardos): Tel. 01656 817570 / 07712 403922 – Service for children with a known disability or undergoing assessment. Online parent support courses (Nurture, Cygnet and Talking Teens), Peer support, 1:1 support for children, young people and parents/carers over video calls, Wellbeing programme and Sibling support.
RCT AND MERTHYR
- For information, advice and assistance contact 01443 425006 – for families and professionals
- If you simply want to access support for a family of a child with disability contact the Disabled Child Team on 01443 425006 and ask to be put through to the Duty Social Worker for DCT.
- The Children with Disability Team 01685 722146
Resources recommended by CYP Service Manager Community Wellbeing and Resilience Service RCT (for children with or without ALN)
- www.wicid.tv: is the youth information and media website for young people by young people. The website was launched in 2011 and has been working ever since to give young people aged 11 to 25 years old access to creative opportunities and providing a pathway into their chosen career. The website is maintained by Youth Engagement and Participation Service (YEPS) in association with RCT. In relation to Covid-19 the website includes:
- blogs and articles of what others are going through and how they are coping;
- it signposts to external sites like Mind
- It has strategies for coping for young people and their parents/carers
- It will have a statement on the front page about contacting us if they want 1:1 support in the form of telephone chats, FaceTime conversations etc. should be up later today.
- YEPSRCT Facebook page has a huge amount that is being refreshed almost hourly, so you could get people to “Like” the page and start following us. We are posting videos, fun challenges, daily timetables of live streaming activities that are going on.
Challenging Behaviour Support CIC, Pontypridd
Challenging Behaviour Support CIC (CBS) is a parent led group, set up in 2014 for parents/carers that are struggling with their child’s behaviour. CBS support parents of children with additional needs of any kind e.g. ADHD, ASD, ODD, SPD, Dyslexia etc with or without a diagnosis. Currently running a telephone, email and Skype service.
- Phone – 07562 223697 / 01443492624
- Email – email@example.com
- Skype – by appointment only on above details