Later next year, doctor-led children’s services are changing and children’s inpatient services will no longer be delivered from the Royal Glamorgan Hospital.

The changes mean:

    • Children who are very unwell or have a serious injury will need to be taken to either Prince Charles Hospital in Merthyr Tydfil, Princess of Wales Hospital in Bridgend or the University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff.
    • Only children with minor injuries can be seen in A&E at the Royal Glamorgan Hospital.
    • Children who are unwell should first see their GP for advice. A new Paediatric Assessment Unit (PAU) will be established at the Royal Glamorgan Hospital. The unit will accept referrals from your GP seven days a week until 8pm and services will be led by a consultant paediatrician.
    • Day surgery and scheduled investigations will continue to be provided at the Royal Glamorgan Hospital.
    • The small minority of children who will need to stay in hospital overnight will need to be transferred to the most appropriate hospital.

What should I do if my child is ill once the changes are in place?

If you child is unwell and the symptoms cannot be managed by self-care at home or a pharmacist you should first contact your GP for advice.

If your child is unwell outside of your GP’s opening hours and it cannot wait then you should contact your GP Out of Hours service. The phone number for the Out of Hours GP service is 0300 1235060.

You can also contact NHS Direct for advice on 0845 4647 or visit

If on assessment your GP feels your child needs input from the paediatric team, this will be discussed by your GP with a paediatric consultant. If they need further assessment and it is in the hours of the PAU, they will be sent to the Royal Glamorgan Hospital.

If it is felt that your child would need overnight admission then they will be referred to Prince Charles Hospital.

The majority of children sent to the PAU will be discharged home. However, if they need to stay in hospital they will need to be transferred to another hospital.

What do I do if it is an emergency?

If your child is very unwell, for example is choking, unconscious, is seriously injured, has breathing difficulties or are having a seizure, please ring 999 and wait for an ambulance to arrive. The operator will provide you with advice and the ambulance will take your child to the most appropriate place for care and treatment.

If you need to take your child to hospital, go to Prince Charles Hospital in Merthyr Tydfil, the University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff or Princess of Wales Hospital, Bridgend, where there are services for all conditions.

The addresses for these hospitals are:

Prince Charles Hospital

Gurnos Road

Merthyr Tydfil

CF47 9DT


Princess of Wales Hospital

Coity Road


CF31 1RQ


University Hospital of Wales

Heath Park Way


CF14 4XW


If your child is seriously ill or injured, do not bring them to the Royal Glamorgan Hospital.

What do I do if my child has a minor injury?

Minor injuries include:

  • Sprains
  • Dislocations
  • Minor burns
  • Insect, animal and human bites
  • Foreign bodies to eyes, ears and nose
  • Minor wounds, cuts and grazes
  • Minor back injuries

If your child has a minor injury, they can visit A&E at the Royal Glamorgan Hospital or Prince Charles Hospital.

They can also go to our Minor Injuries Units at Ysbyty Cwm Rhondda or Ysbyty Cwm Cynon, which are open from 9.30am to 4.30pm. Please ring ahead for YCR on 01443 444 075.

If my child needs to stay in hospital overnight, how will they be transferred?

If your child needs to stay overnight, they will be transferred to another hospital. Where appropriate, this could be done by our dedicated ambulance transfer service which will support the Paediatric Assessment Unit (PAU). Our experience is that most parents will stay with them.

We have conducted pilots for the PAU and found that the vast majority of children were treated and discharged home without having to stay overnight.

My child has complex needs and has open access to the children’s ward. What does this mean for them?

Please do not worry if you have a child with complex needs who currently has open access to the ward at RGH. All families will have an individual care plan agreed.

For those who have open access, please always ring ahead before attending the ward.

Where can I find out more information?

If you have any questions, please speak to your healthcare professional or contact the Cwm Taf Morgannwg University Health Board communications team by emailing [email protected]