Maesteg Hospital within the Llynfi Valley, includes a 20 bedded elderly care ward (Llynfi Ward), an Outpatients Department, a Day Hospital which is currently temporarily closed, and various other departments such as Mental Health, Physiotherapy, Health Visitors, District Nurses, Radiology; there is also a GP Surgery on site.
Since the transfer of service to the newly established CTMU HB, working closely with our local authority partners, we have considered the views of the community and have been reviewing all services and the local needs. In considering the Community Models we have developed within the former Cwm Taf area footprint, we have thought how we might use the concept of a ‘Health & Wellbeing Centre’ for Maesteg Hospital. This would also act as a ‘Local Community Hub’, a focal point for health and wellbeing for local communities.
We see this as an exciting opportunity to develop services within the Llynfi Valley, working closely with our partners to improve the care people receive and how they receive it.
We are working on:
- More outpatient clinics
- Utilising the Day Unit space for services that can be provided locally
- A sociable space to support voluntary organisations
- Health and wellbeing functions to enhancing self-management
- Avoiding unnecessary travel for local residents
- Supporting people to keep themselves healthy and active
- Reducing social isolation, which can lead to ill health